Why is Identity Verification important?
Protecting customer information is important to the NHVR. One of the steps to protect customers is to require all users of the registration services to be verified using Australia Post’s Digital ID service. This service is a secure, safe and simple way to prove who you are online.
For general information about Digital iD, visit the Australia Post Digital iD website
From 18 October 2018, to use the Registration service customers will be asked to click on the ‘Verify Identity’ button, which will launch the Digital iD process.
Customers will only be verified once. You will not need to do this every time you access the registration service in the NHVR Portal.
Verification will only be required for customers accessing the registration service. Existing NHVR Portal customers using the Access permit service will not be affected by this change.
Other security tips
- regularly check the users who have access to the customer account and disabling ex-employees or users that no longer need access to the customer account.
- regularly check data request logs and keeping an eye on the user activity in the customer account.
- regularly change administrator passwords e.g. every 3 months
- ensure that any downloaded information (CSVs, PDFs and print outs) are securely stored and disposed of according to your business' record management practices.
Steps to Verify Identify
- Once logged into the NHVR Portal, open My profile, from the top or side navigation.
- Click on the ‘Verify Identity’ button.
- An information page will load with some additional information about why we have implemented the identity verification feature and the information that the NHVR does and doesn’t collect through the identification process. Then click Verify with Digital iD.
- This will redirect you to the Australia Post Digital ID website, you can verifying your identify by completing the required fields.
- If you already have the Digital iD app with Australia Post, you can click on the Connect button. For all other users, click on the ‘Start verification’ button.
- Choose a document type. Enter the requested information and click ‘Next’. Confirm the information you have entered is correct. If you need to change what you have entered, click on the ‘Edit’ button at the top right hand side of the screen. Otherwise check the terms and conditions box and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Click ‘Allow’ and Australia Post will send a user verified message to the NHVR and you will be returned to the NHVR Portal – Registration Service. There is an option to include a mobile number should you wish to use Australia Post’s Digital iD app. Click on the ‘More’ for more information about this service provided by Australia Post.
- Once you have been successfully verified, you will see the following screen.
- If there was an issue verifying your document, an Error message will be displayed. You will have the opportunity to recheck the details and try again. The service will allow a maximum of 3 attempts. If verification fails again, you will be returned the NHVR Portal with the message below. You will be able to try again.
The NHVR cannot override the document verification step for customers. All users of the registration service must be verified. Customers who cannot be successfully verified will not meet the conditions of use and will not be able to use the registration service in the NHVR Portal.